NOTE: COHORT III begins September 2023 with an orientation for site coordinators! NEW applicants can apply here.
Questions? Contact Ellen Vorenkamp at email@example.com.
Districts that implement—with fidelity—quality balanced assessment systems in each classroom show improved student learning and increased student achievement.
Join us for a three-year facilitated professional learning and implementation journey toward Achieving Balance in Classroom Assessment (ABCA). Claim your place among a select number of districts to participate in this unique opportunity to learn how balanced assessment—assessment for and of learning – can:
- substantially improve student instruction and learning
- close gaps in student performance, and
- increase equity in student learning and achievement.
Through the ABCA program, the Michigan Assessment Consortium (MAC) will support district teams with structured programming, planning consultation, and high-quality resources to help them achieve increased student achievement through improved assessment practices in each classroom. MAC-provided learning facilitators will engage district ABCA teams in strengthening classroom assessment using both the formative assessment process (assessment for learning) and interim assessments periodically (assessments of learning).
Educators will learn to:
- use the formative assessment process to plan, deliver, and reflect on instruction;
- use interim assessments periodically to monitor or verify student learning;
- select/develop and use other quality summative and formative evidence-gathering tools within the classroom setting;
- deepen their understanding of how assessment for learning (the formative assessment process) and assessment of learning (summative assessments) work together to enhance student learning and increase student achievement;
- recognize what assessment literate educators know, do, and believe as they work to improve the balance of assessment at the classroom level; and
- successfully use evidence gathered through a balanced assessment system to support a continuous improvement process through MICIP.
Each ABCA district team will participate in a structured learning and implementation program designed to deepen understanding of how assessment for learning (formative assessment) and assessment of learning (summative assessments) can work together to improve assessment balance at the classroom level, leading to enhanced student learning and achievement. Teams will also receive expert consultation between and after sessions to develop and implement an Assessment Learning and Implementation Plan.
Year 1: $2,999.00 (covers teams of up to 10 participants)
- Review the ABCA Professional Learning Program Frequently Asked Questions
- Share this opportunity with district leaders and/or potential site team members.
- Direct additional questions about the ABCA program to Ellen Vorenkamp at 810.923.0327 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or Ed Roeber at 517.614.4877 or email@example.com.
- Complete the MAC ABCA Professional Learning Program Application no later than October 10, 2023.
The MAC hopes to confirm selected sites in time for districts to include their intentions in their August 30, 2023 submission of the district Continuous Improvement Plan (CIP) and Consolidated Application. Please refer to the FAQ for suggested language to include in your plan.