A Professional Learning Community
The Assessment Learning Network (ALN) is a professional learning community open to educators and policymakers committed to improving student learning through effective use of high-quality, balanced assessment systems. The goal of the ALN is to increase assessment literacy among professional educators and of those who make policy decisions regarding K-12 education. Through engagement and shared perspectives, this learning community invests in Michigan’s children and educators by using assessment to cultivate capable learners.
SCHEDULE AT A GLANCE
ALN theme for 2022-23: “Assessing and advancing student learning through meaningful, equitable assessment.”
- Nov. 2, 2022 – Standards-Based Learning, Assessing, Grading and Reporting: Moving beyond “standards-referenced” to seamless, aligned systems with Tom Schimmer
- Jan 17, 2023 – Reframing “Rigor”: Necessary conditions to achieve equitable and ambitious outcomes for ALL Students, with Kimberly Bland, Shannon Ware, Paul Szymanski and selected classroom practitioners
- March 9, 2023 – Planning, Practice and Reflection: Exploring the connection between ambitious teaching and effective use of the formative assessment process with Tara Kintz, Margaret Heritage and selected classroom practitioners
- April 27 – Moving Together Toward Assessment Systems that Support Learning: A networking and sharing session to implement our ALN learning with Ellen Vorenkamp and Terri Portice and ALN 2022-23 participants.
The ASSESSMENT LEARNING NETWORK is a unique concept that:
- Is supported by the Michigan Assessment Consortium (MAC) and the Michigan Department of Education
- Brings together the leadership from Michigan’s professional education associations, ISDs/ESAs, policy organizations, and more.
- Offers regular engagements where diverse education leaders learn together about the power of assessment to support the development of our students, their educators and our state.
There are two ways to engage:
- Participate in one or more ALN event to enrich your own assessment literacy.
- Affiliate with us to promote assessment literacy among your colleagues, members, or constituents.